The Queensland Academies are committed to facilitating happy and supportive homestay arrangements for students requiring accommodation. It is however the responsibility of the parent requesting homestay to meet the financial commitment of this service. Financial assistance is available to families living in rural and remote areas of Queensland – see information on the Queensland Academies Isolated Students Bursary details below.
We firmly believe that Academy families who are aware of the needs of bright students and the rigours of the IB Diploma are most suited to provide this homestay service.
The Queensland Government enforces stringent homestay standards, ensuring high quality accommodation is arranged with convenient access to the Academy and that all homestay providers undergo orientation, training and police checks. For further details please visit the Commission for Children and Young People and Child Guardian website.
The Queensland Academies have always aimed to provide students and host families the very best in homestay experiences.
There are two hosting options available:
- 7-night homestay week; and
- 5-night homestay week.
If you are interested in securing a homestay placement or providing homestay for an Academies student please contact us on (07) 3377 9366 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Queensland Academies Isolated Students (QAIS) Bursary
We are committed to supporting rural and remote students attending the Academies.
The Queensland Academies Isolated Student Bursary supports highly capable students from rural and remote areas who are not eligible for the Living Away From Home Allowance Scheme (LAFHAS) to access financial support for travel and accommodation whilst attending the Academies.
To be eligible for the Bursary, the following criteria must be satisfied:
- The student is not eligible to receive assistance through the Living Away From Home Allowances Scheme (LAFHAS); and
- The home address of the student must be in Queensland; and
- The nearest Queensland Government school with the appropriate year level to the student’s family home is located in a Rural or Remote Education Zone; and
- The Queensland Academy the student attends is at least three hours traveling time per day from their home address using the school transport or public transport service; and
- The student’s conduct, progress and attendance must be satisfactory.
For further information, please visit this Queensland Government QAIS Bursary page.