Queensland Academies Creative Industries Campus - Year 10 Selective Entry Application Process
Applications for Year 10 2019 entrance closed 16 March following the QACI Open Day.
Our Campus accepts Principal’s Discretionary applications which are assessed by the Principal on a case-by-case basis.
The process for submitting a Principal's Discretionary Application at Queensland Academies Creative Industries Campus is:
Submit an online application through the Queensland Academies Portal
Applicants will undertake an interview and provide a sample of academic or creative work and a statement of academic journey.
Applicants will be advised whether they will progress to the testing stage.
Progressed applicants will sit the entrance exam.
Applicants receive notice of outcome.
Step 1: Online Application
To apply, parents/carers are required to register their details and their child’s details in the Queensland Academies Portal. Once registered, parents/carers are able to commence the application process.
For the application, you will be prompted to attach the following documentation:
- A recent photograph of the applicant (a school ID or passport-style photo taken within the last 2 years)
- Birth Certificate, Passport or Permanent residency visa (International students and temporary residents should also attach visa evidence including visa subclass)
- Applicants seeking to attend one of the Queensland Academies Campuses as an International Student need to make an application through Education Queensland International before applying to Queensland Academies. Que
- Medical Diagnosis Letter/Report
- A medical diagnosis report/letter will need to be provided if requesting special considerations. Please note that special needs requests and supporting documentation should generally be no more than 1 year old. Letters from health practitioners must give clear information on the candidate's condition as it affects their ability to sit the assessment. Click here for Special Considerations
- Evidence of Giftedness (test results if applicable)
- Two most recent semester school reports (e.g. Semester 2 2017 & Semester 1 2018)
- NAPLAN results for Year 3, 5, 7, and 9 (or a reason why this cannot be provided)
An initial application fee of $150 is applicable at the point of lodging the online application. Please see bottom of page for full application fees.
Step 2: Interview
Applicants must bring the following items to the interview and ensure a copy of each can be left with the campus at the end of the interview:
1. A sample of academic work,that demonstrates academic excellence and innovation.
2. A statement of academic journey.
1. Sample of academic work
The purpose of this sample is for the applicant to use it as a basis to respond to questions during the interview as well as communicate reasons they should be considered for a place at the campus for which they are applying. A portfolio of awards and certificates is not required.
The piece of work should be from an area of the applicant’s interest and one that they believe demonstrates academic excellence and innovation (laptop or hard copy). This could include scientific research, a creative piece or a school assignment and should evidence an extended piece of writing or journaling. Group work assignments or work that has required several rounds of feedback from teachers provide excellent discussion points that work to demonstrate the learner attributes of the applicant.
Please note that these work samples should be presented in a format that can be left behind with the Interviewer.
2. A statement of academic journey
This statement should be a maximum of one A4 page, font size Arial 10, outlining the applicant’s academic journey, including the highs and lows.
NB: Applicants interested in studying IB Music at the Creative Industries campus are required to show evidence of completion of (or working toward the completion of) a level in music theory equivalent to AMEB Grade 3 Theory.
NB: Applicants interesting in studying IB Dance at the Creative Industries Campus are expected to continue their structured technical dance lessons outside the normal QACI timetable.
Applicants will be informed whether their application will progress to the test stage. Progressed applicants will be required to complete an additional payment of the balance of the full application fee. Please see bottom of the page for full application fees.
Step 3: Entrance Exam
Applicants will need to sit a general academic test that has been designed by the Australian Council for Educational Research (ACER). ACER will mark the tests and analyse the results on behalf of the Queensland Academies.
Entrance Test Information
The test has four parts:
- A reading comprehension test (multiple choice - 45 minutes)
- A written essay (paper provided – 25 minutes)
- A mathematics/science test (multiple choice – 40 minutes)
- An abstract reasoning test (multiple choice – 30 minutes)
What do I need to bring for the Test?
The test will require applicants to bring:
- two black or blue pens
- two HB or B pencils
- photo identification (ie. student ID card or valid passport)
No other material or resources will be required for the test. There will be a short lunch break and applicants should bring a packed lunch.
Step 4: Notice of Outcome
Offers will be made to applicants on the basis of their application documentation, entrance exam results and interview.
Parents/carers are asked to provide a deposit to secure enrolment which is deducted from the annual IB program fee.
All appeals against the Enrolment Eligibility Committee assessment of 'non offer' are to be submitted to the Queensland Academies Admissions Office within ten working days after receiving the 'Letter of Non Offer'. Call the Admissions Office on (07) 3377 9366 for more details about this process.
All appeals will be considered on merit in accordance with the enrolment criteria. The appellant will need to present evidence to substantiate a claim that the stated criteria have not been applied correctly, fairly or equitably.
FULL APPLICATION FEES
- $300.00 – for applicants testing on campus
- $400.00 – for applicants testing at a regional/interstate location
- $500.00 – for applicants testing outside of Australia
Please note: The full application fee covers the entire application process: test, analysis of documents and interview.
There is no application process for scholarships. Eligible applicants and their parents/carers will be contacted by the relevant Campus Principal should opportunities arise. Applicants seeking fee relief for program and other fees are requested to contact the relevant Campus Principal.
- The application process is designed to be undertaken by students in Year 9 (or age or education program equivalent) for entry at the commencement of Term 1 of Year 10.
- Applicants can submit only one application per calendar year.
- You will be prompted to select one campus only.