Year 7 Selective Entry Application Process
Applications for 2019 entry into Year 7 at the Queensland Academy for Science Mathematics & Technology have now closed.
Key Dates for 2020 Applications:
Applications for 2020 Entry open
Monday January 21, 2019
Thursday February 28
Applications must be received by
Friday May 3, 4pm
Saturday May 11
Invitation to Interview
Shortlisted candidates only
Notice of Outcome
There are four steps to the Year 7 selective entry process:
Submit an online application through the Queensland Academies Portal and register for the Entrance Test
Sit the Entrance Test
Shortlisted applicants are invited to undertake an interview with their parent/guardian
Students are advised of the outcome
Step 1: Online Application
To apply, parent/guardian are required to register their details and their child’s details in the Queensland Academies Portal. Once registered, parent/guardian are able to start new applications for their children.
For the Year 7 Entry application, you will be prompted to attach the following documentation in your online application:
- A recent photograph of the applicant (a school ID or passport-style photo taken within the last 2 years)
- Australian/New Zealand Birth Certificate or Overseas Birth Certificate and Permanent residency visa (all applicants must have Australian Citizenship or are the child of an Australian citizen; or have Permanent Resident status or are the child of a Permanent Resident)
- Medical Diagnosis Letter/Report *( if applicable )
- Evidence of Giftedness (if applicable)
- Two most recent semester school reports (e.g. Semester 2 2017 & Semester 1 2018)
- NAPLAN results for Year 3 and 5 **(or a reason why this cannot be provided)
*A medical diagnosis report/letter will need to be provided if requesting special consideration. Please note that special needs requests and supporting documentation should generally be no more than 1 year old. Letters from health practitioners must give clear information on the candidate's condition as it affects their ability to sit the assessment.
Step 2: Entrance Exam
Applicants will sit a series of tests approximately 3 hours of duration that will be facilitated by Edutest. The tests will cover both ability and achievement.
The Ability tests
Ability tests are designed to measure a child's ability to think, reason and solve problems, without necessarily relying on prior knowledge. Ability generally predicts how quickly a child will be able to learn and the level of complexity they can comfortably deal with.
30 minutes long
Measures the ability to think and reason using words and language. This includes vocabulary, word relationships, classification and deduction.
30 minutes long
Measures the ability to think and reason using numbers. This includes series, matrices, arithmetical reasoning and deduction.
Edutest summary data is only available to students once they have commenced at the academy in Year 10. Queensland Academies will respond to requests received in writing and will provide this document post Day 8 of the academic year.
The Achievement tests
Achievement tests are designed to measure actual achievement or performance in some key academic areas. Achievement scores are influenced by a child's ability, as well as the application and practise of knowledge that has been learned.
30 minutes long
Measures the capacity to read and interpret meaning from written passages, as well as correct, complete and punctuate sentences.
30 minutes long
Measures year-level appropriate mathematical knowledge, including items tapping numbers, measurement, algebra, space and data.
15 minutes long
This test assesses the ability to convey ideas clearly in written form. Punctuation, creativity, construction, grammar, spelling and relevance to the task are assessed.
Sitting the Entrance Test Off-Campus
Edutest's Remote Testing Service is only available to students who are living and studying interstate, overseas or remote from the testing school.
For further information about off-campus testing, please refer to the Edutest website here.
Special Considerations for the Entrance Test
If you require any special considerations for the entrance test, please contact the Queensland Academies Admissions Office on 07 3377 9366.
Edutest will mark the tests and analyse the student results on behalf of the Queensland Academies. Edutest will provide applicants and their families with all of the operational details about the test. For more information please click here: https://www.edutest.com.au/parents.htm
Step 3: Interview
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend an interview with their parent/guardian.
Step 4: Notice of Outcome
Offers will be made to students on the basis of their application documentation, entrance exam results and interview.
Parents are asked to provide a deposit to secure enrolment which is deducted from the annual IB program fee.
Please note we are not able to distribute individual student test results.
- $250.00 – for students testing at the Queensland Academy for Science Mathematics and Technology
- PLEASE NOTE THERE IS AN ADDITIONAL FEE CHARGED BY EDUTEST FOR STUDENTS TESTING OFF-CAMPUS
- The application process is designed to be undertaken by students in Years 6 for entry at the commencement of Term 1 of Year 7 in the 2020.
- Applicants can submit only one application per calendar year.
- There are no inter-academy transfers available to students who have enrolled at the Queensland Academy for Science Mathematics and Technology from Year 7. Students accepting an offer into Year 7 at the Queensland Academy for Science Mathematics and Technology are committing to 6 years of program provision at that campus.