The Queensland Academy for Science Mathematics and Technology is excited to announce that we will be enrolling students in Year 7 from 2019. The Queensland Academy for Science Mathematics and Technology is proud to be part of the Building Future Schools program. As part of the approach to inner-city schooling, the Building Future Schools program is enhancing school infrastructure, building and strengthening strategic partnerships and developing and refining long-term master plans to support state schools as part of Brisbane’s changing landscape.
We aim to provide an exciting opportunity for you to become a Queensland Academies student.
As a member of our learning community you will understand that to be successful, you need to be self-disciplined, resilient and well-rounded, focussed yet flexible. Our admissions process is designed with a high level of personalised service and integrity in order to ensure that our selected students are well prepared for these challenges.
A successful Year 7 applicant will demonstrate:
- Demonstrated academic ability
- A high level of commitment, work ethic and application to study
- Demonstrated capacity for planning, effective organisation and time management
- Very high levels of personal behaviour
- Demonstration of personal qualities for success in a rigorous academic program
Before you apply, you should know:
- That Queensland Academies offer the International Baccalaureate Diploma as the only senior years curriculum offering to students and Queensland Academy for Science Mathematics and Technology offers the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme as the only junior secondary curriculum offering
- That students who accept an offer into the Middle School program at QASMT are enrolling for the duration of the full six year program. There is no transfer process for students from the Middle School program at QASMT into the 3 year Senior Secondary programs at either QACI or QAHS
- That International students and temporary residents can apply to enter Queensland Academies for commencement of Year 10
- That enrolment is only through a selective entry applications process
- When to apply
When to apply
The application process for entry at the commencement of Term 1 of Year 7 is designed to be undertaken by students in Queensland in Year 5 (or age or education program equivalent).
Students seeking to apply after the Standard Application Process has closed should refer to the information about the Principal's Discretionary Process below.
Standard Applications Process
Queensland Academy for Science Mathematics and Technology has one scheduled Standard Applications Process for entry into Year 7 in a given year. The Standard Applications Process has a scheduled close date and Entrance Test date.
Students seeking entry should apply through this process within advertised timelines wherever possible.
If a student has been unable to apply during this period, they may still apply through the school’s Principal’s Discretionary Process.
Principal’s Discretionary Process
Principal's Discretionary applications will be assessed by the Principal on a case-by-case basis, as vacancies arise. Highly capable candidates with strong academic results seeking to apply through this process should submit their online application at the earliest possible opportunity.
At the end of the Standard Applications Process, an application may be moved into the Principal’s Discretionary Process if additional evidence (documentation or other enquiries) is required to continue application assessment.
Where an Academy's capacity has been reached, applications being assessed through the Principal’s Discretionary Process may continue to be considered for any vacancies, should they arise, in the following school year. Note: These intakes are not an option for Year 11 or 12 students.
Application for admission is no guarantee of available vacancies or successful enrolment and any fees paid are non-refundable.
Students seeking mid-course entry (entry into the International Baccalaureate Middle Years (IBMY) Programme, Years 7-9, after commencement of Year 7) must:
- read the Year 7 Admissions Policy regarding Entry Point for Enrolment and Mid-course entry, and
- contact Queensland Academies Admissions on 07 3377 9366 prior to submitting an application for advice on vacancies and the application process.