Brilliant Futures: Brisbane Program
The Queensland Academies Preparation Program: Brilliant Futures is open to students currently in Year 5 and 6. Graduates from the program will gain an automatic offer into Year 10 at either the Creative Industries campus (Kelvin Grove) or the Science, Mathematics and Technology campus (Toowong). The program is designed to provide a smooth transition when entering Queensland Academies and commencing the IB Diploma.
Students will benefit from working with Queensland Academies teachers and will be challenged through contemporary pedagogy that offers collaborative, accelerated learning focused on deep inquiry and real world research.
2017 Program details (for 2018 Commencement):
Year 5 (or 6) Term 3:
Application and selection process (see below for upcoming application deadlines)
Year 5 (or 6) Term 4:
Official Induction Ceremony for successful students
Development of a Personalised Learning Plan (updated annually)
Years 6 & 7:
Access to a variety of online and face-to-face courses
Residential STEM tour (optional) & Engagement Opportunities
Year 10 – 12:
Queensland Academy Student
Applications Close: 4pm Friday September 8, 2017
Admissions Test: Saturday October 7, 2017
Notifications of Offer: by Friday November 10, 2017
Acceptance of Offer: by Friday November 17, 2017
Expectations of students in the Preparation Program:
- Semester submission of report cards
- Submission of NAPLAN reports when available
- Payment of an annual enrollment fee
- Participation in a minimum of one online course or face to face workshop in both Years 6 and 7
- Participation in the Year 8 project
Application process (once): $250
Annual admission fee: $250 (excludes course and workshop fees)
Workshops^: range from $50 – $80 per workshop
Online Courses^: approximately $250 each
^ As noted in the ‘Expectations of students in the Preparation Program: section, each student is required to complete either one online course or one face to face workshop in their Years 6 and 7 of study.
- All highly capable students in Years 5 and 6 are welcome to apply. Applications will be analysed and shortlisted students will be offered an opportunity to sit the entrance test. It is an expectation that students demonstrate NAPLAN results in the upper two bands in the majority of components in order to proceed to the testing point: Year 3 NAPLAN for Year 5 applicants and Year 5 NAPLAN for Year 6 applicants.
- Students who were not successful in gaining a place in the Preparation Program: would be welcome to re-apply in Year 9 as per the general process.
- Students who were offered a place and subsequently found this pathway too challenging, or withdrew for other reasons, would be welcome to re-apply in Year 9 as per the general process.
We look forward to welcoming the next cohort of Preparation Program: students into the Queensland Academies community. For more details call (07) 3377 9366