Brilliant Futures: Gold Coast Program
The Queensland Academies Preparation Program: Brilliant Futures is an enrichment program designed to develop students’ attributes as learners and to provide a transition engagement for students seeking enrolment with Queensland Academies for Year 10. The Program is open to students currently in Year 5 or 6.
Queensland Academies offer the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Program – an internationally recognised pre-university level qualification that allows subjects to be accelerated and graduating students to study at Australia tertiary institutions as well as overseas universities. The aim of all International Baccalaureate Programs is to develop internationally minded young people who, recognising their common humanity and shared guardianship of the planet, help to create a better and more peaceful world.
- To introduce students to and develop their attributes of the International Baccalaureate Learner Profile.
- To engage students in enrichment activities enabling collaboration with a like-minded, highly capable cohort of peers.
- Graduates from the program will gain an automatic offer into Year 10 at the Health Sciences (Gold Coast) campus.
- Students will engage with expert teaching staff through the International Baccalaureate’s Approaches to Teaching and Learning that develops skills in collaboration, deep inquiry and research.
2017 Gold Coast Program details (for 2018 Commencement):
Year 5 or 6:
Application process and Admissions Test
Notification to selected students
Years 6 & 7:
Engagement in online and face-to-face enrichment courses and workshops
Enrolment interview for Year 10 commencement
Year 10 – 12:
Commence Queensland Academies, Gold Coast Campus
Applications Close: 4pm Friday September 8, 2017
Admissions Test: Saturday October 7, 2017
Notifications of Offer: by Friday November 10, 2017
Acceptance of Offer: by Friday November 17, 2017
Expectations of students in the Preparation Program:
- Submission of Semester Report cards and NAPLAN reports as they become available.
- Completion of two enrichment activities, preferably one online and one face-to-face workshops in Year 6 and Year 7.
- Completion of the Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics (STEM) Investigation in Year 8
We understand that students may already be engaged in a range of extracurricular activities. Queensland Academies has designed the Brilliant Futures Program to complement students’ school and extracurricular commitments.
- All highly capable students in Years 5 and 6 are welcome to apply. Applications will be analysed and shortlisted students will be offered an opportunity to sit the Admissions Test. It is an expectation that students demonstrate NAPLAN results in the upper two bands in the majority of components in order to proceed to the testing point: Year 3 and Year 5 NAPLAN reports should be submitted with the application.
- Students who were not successful in gaining a place in the Brilliant Futures Preparation Program, or who withdrew from the Preparation Program prior to Year 9, would be welcome to re-apply in Year 9 as per our standard Queensland Academies selective entry process.
We look forward to welcoming the next cohort of Preparation Program: students into the Queensland Academies community. For more details call (07) 5510 1100