Student Profile - Nicholas Rohland
Queensland Academy for Science Mathematics and Technology - Class of 2018
- During my IB studies at QASMT I’ve been able to develop into a more mature, open-minded, disciplined and conscientious person, thanks to the principles of the IB learner attributes, the rigour of the IB curriculum and the incredibly diverse range of remarkable students at the school.
- The most valuable thing I’ve learnt while at the Academy was how much stronger you are as a person than you think. Even under the most intense pressures you always find a way, deep down in yourself to push through, persist and set the bar for yourself even higher, making it much easier to manage a similarly stressful period next time.
- I feel that my biggest achievement was finishing the final IB exams. I felt an enormous sense of pride in myself for always being persistent, resilient, and strong-willed to give my absolute best efforts, regardless of the outcome.
- Some of my other highlights during my time at the academy include, but are not limited to:
- Meeting and having such an awesome bunch of teachers and staff.
- Completing a Certificate II in Sampling and Certificate III in Laboratory Skills at the end of 2016.
- Winning the 2016 and 2017 TREX team cross triathlon race in Landsborough, Queensland.
- Participating in the Engineering Ambassadors program in the 2016/17 school year, and in the Mathematics Ambassadors program in the 2017/18 school year.
- Attending the 2017 USA STEM Tour.
- Volunteering at the Salvation Army and Brisbane Convoy 4 Kids in November 2017 and December 2017/January 2018 respectively.
- Attending the National Mathematics Summer School in January 2018
- Winner of the ‘Dux of the Academy’ award
University / Career Aspiration
- I’m incredibly passionate, even obsessed, with mathematics and its applications. Whether abstract or applied, it never ceases to amaze me how powerful a tool it is to solve a wide variety of problems.
- I aspire to become a researcher or professor of either applied mathematics or physics. My goals are to study a science and mathematics orientated undergraduate degree at university and complete a postgraduate doctorate research thesis.
- It always makes me satisfied and thrilled when I’m able to help others and give back to my own community in a beneficial way. I hope, in some way or another, to achieve this in my career and make a positive impact.
IB Score - 42