Student Profile - Serena Chern
Queensland Academy for Science Mathematics and Technology - Class of 2018
- Participated in a QUT STEM Internship with Dr Alison Carey, Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation – The Reproductive Tract Infection and Immunity Project
- One of the five students to experience first-hand research on Chlamydial vaccine development
- Participated in SPARQ-ed Immersion, “Dynamic Tumour Heterogeneity in Melanoma Therapy” at the Translational Research Institute, Queensland
- Learnt about the modelling of melanoma using 3D spheroids and investigated the effectiveness of different drugs
- Attended the Trinity College Young Leaders Program at the University of Melbourne for the “Law and Justice” stream
- Selected for the Australian Individual Debating and Public Speaking Championships
- Highly commended for the Science Teachers Association of Queensland Science Contest: Mathematical Investigations
- Scholarship for the UQ Language Immersion for Spanish
- Caltex All-Rounder award winner
- Held the post of DaVinci Service Captain
- Part of the QASMT Volleyball Team and a member of Concert Band and Orchestra
- Mentor at Young Einstein Club
- Volunteered at Zonta Club, Vital Connections, Environment Club and Leos Club. I also travelled to Thailand for a dog rescue project.
IB Score - 44
University / Career Aspiration
- I am passionate about many fields including science, health and humanities. I am hoping to study science or biomedicine in university and I would love to undertake a research project if given the opportunity.
- In 10 years from now, I will be happy if I have solidified my passion whether it be as a researcher, health practitioner or simply using science as a profession or hobby.