Queensland Academies welcomes you to an exciting initiative to celebrate National Science Week! (Years 4-7)
The theme for this year’s National Science Week workshops at the Queensland Academies Science, Mathematics and Technology Campus (QASMT) is ‘Future Earth’. Students in Years 4 -7 are invited to register for complete two 45 minute, hands on workshops that explore an aspect of sustainability science. These workshops will be designed and delivered by Year 11 QASMT students. Some of the workshops planned for the day are:
- Creating a mesocosm
- Greenhouse gas experiments
- Solar powered electrolysis (hydrogen fuel cells)
- Designing and building a solar oven
- Water filtration challenge
- Sustainable house design
- Wind energy turbines
- Rockets (alternative fuels)
- Hovercraft (alternative transport solutions)
Workshops details: Please note students nominate for the general workshops program, rather than a specific topic.
Location: Queensland Academies Science, Mathematics and Technology Campus (78 Bywong St, Toowong)
Date: Monday August 14, 2017
Registration time: 3:00pm – 3:30pm
Workshop time: 3.45pm – 5.30pm
Equipment: Comfortable clothing, closed-in shoes essential.
Future Earth is a major 10-year international initiative to advance global sustainability science. Future Earth is a global community of tens of thousands of world-class researchers, projects and institutes brought together around an international research agenda focusing on sustainability science.
Future Earth’s 2025 vision addresses eight key challenges to global sustainability:
- Deliver water, energy, and food for all
- Decarbonise socio-economic systems to stabilise the climate
- Safeguard the terrestrial, freshwater and marine natural assets underpinning human well-being
- Build healthy, resilient and productive cities
- Promote sustainable rural futures
- Improve human health
- Encourage sustainable consumption and production patterns
- Increase social resilience to future threats.