This policy outlines the procedure followed by the Queensland Academies in relation to the enrolment of students at:
- Queensland Academies Creative Industries Campus (QACI)
- Queensland Academies Health Sciences Campus (QAHS)
- Queensland Academy for Science Mathematics and Technology (QASMT)
This policy aligns with the department-approved Enrolment eligibility plans for each of the 3 schools.
See below for Education Queensland Enrolment Eligibility Plans:
Entry point for enrolment
The Queensland Academies have a single point of entry into the Academy senior years program, which is the start of Year 10. There are no, unless covered by the conditions outlined below, mid-course entries to the Academy program.
The application process is designed to be undertaken by students in Queensland in their junior secondary years of school (or age or education program equivalent) for entry at the commencement of Term 1 of Year 10.
Students who are currently enrolled in or have completed Year 10 (or equivalent) are also eligible to apply, but must complete the full 3 year program, or seek consideration for mid-course entry.
Students who are seeking entry into Year 10 directly as an acceleration strategy are requested to contact the Queensland Academies Admissions Manager for advice, prior to application, on 07 3377 9366 (8.00am – 4.00pm, Monday-Friday, during school terms). Appropriate evidence, including evidence of giftedness, must be provided with the student’s application. If appropriate evidence is provided at the point of application, students will be invited to participate in a specific pre admissions interview with the Principal or delegate, the Guidance Officer and the student's parents in order to evaluate the student's readiness to commence the admissions process.
Consideration may be given to students seeking mid-course entry to an Academy from another school where:
- the student is currently studying the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma and a case for course continuity can be justified
- the student is not currently studying the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma, is seeking to enter in Year 10, and the student has not had a previous opportunity to apply for an Academy within the normal application process because of extenuating circumstance or a justifiable and unforeseen change in life circumstance.
In each case above the individual case will be considered by the Principal, taking into consideration the following:
- Course entry point being requested
- Academic program being studied prior to application and alignment of this program with the rigour of Academy programs at this course entry point
- Availability of enrolment places
- Suitability of the student against the Queensland Academies selection criteria and the enrolment eligibility plan
Mid-course entry cannot be sought where an applicant has previously unsuccessfully applied for entry in that year.
Students seeking mid-course entry must contact Queensland Academies Admissions on (07) 3377 9366 prior to submitting an application.
Student application process
A student can submit 1 application only to Queensland Academies in a given year. When a student applies to a Queensland Academy, they are making a commitment to that school.
The application process gathers information regarding the student's contact details, medical history, educational history, accommodation requirements, previous achievements and aspirations.
All information relevant to the student selection process that may impact on the assessment of an application must be fully disclosed (where requested in the application, or in a separate statement submitted to the Queensland Academies Admissions Office) at the time of application. Should such information become available after application submission, this must be provided to Queensland Academies as soon as possible and prior to acceptance of offer.
Note: the Principal reserves the right to cease processing an application for a future student or cease the enrolment of an existing student where entitlement to enrolment has been obtained through false or misleading statements.
The following documents need to be prepared prior to commencement of the selection process:
- Photograph of the student
- Proof of Australian citizenship or nationality (i.e. birth certificate, passport, and if required, an Australian visa that states that the student's residency is inclusive of the final exam period at the conclusion of the International Diploma Programme or is able to be extended to be inclusive of that date. Note: If the visa status changes to non-resident, some students may be required to pay international student fees)
- 2 most recent semesters school reports (equivalent to 12 months of school reports)
- All available NAPLAN results
- Payment of non-refundable application fees
- Parent acknowledgement that these guidelines have been read, understood and accepted
All students' applications will be acknowledged on receipt and any incomplete information/documentation will be requested before progressing the application through the selective entry process. Incomplete applications will not be progressed to the interview stages.
Complete and correct applications will be registered on the Queensland Academies Admissions database.
Student selection process
The selection process seeks to holistically assess the following attributes:
- Demonstrated academic ability
- A high level of commitment, work ethic and application to study
- Demonstrated capacity for planning, effective organisation and time management
- Very high levels of personal behaviour
- Demonstration of personal qualities for success in a rigorous academic program
The assessment of a student's suitability for a Queensland Academy will include the following processes to explore the attributes listed above:
- Completion of the specified entrance test
- Analysis of school reports and other academic performance data e.g. NAPLAN results
- An interview by the specific Academy
Note: The Principal has the right to withdraw an offer of enrolment should evidence become available that the student is not able to meet expected standards of behaviour.
The information received from each of the above selection processes will be analysed to determine an outcome for each student.
A decision may be made where justifiable circumstances exist, that the Principal or panel will reinterview a student where further information or clarity is required.
The Principal is responsible for all decisions on selective entry enrolment and this decision on selection will be final. There is no internal review of the Principal's decision and no feedback will be given. Entrance test data is confidential, and individual results will not be released.
Students seeking to re-apply must seek advice from the Queensland Academies Admissions Office prior to submitting a new application.
Student transfer between Academies
Change of Academy preference prior to commencement
Applicants are made an offer of enrolment for a particular Academy for the full three-year duration of the course of study at Queensland Academies. When applicants apply to or accept an offer at an Academy, they are making a commitment to that school. If extenuating circumstances arise and the applicant needs to request a change of Academy, they and their parents/caregivers must follow the process below:
- Request a change of Academy preference and submit reasons for request in writing to the Manager, Queensland Academies.
- This request will be tabled with the appropriate Academy Principals for permission to proceed or otherwise.
- A final decision will be made in consultation with the relevant Principals.
Inter-academy transfer after commencement
If a current student wishes to request transfer to another Queensland Academy, they should contact the Principal at their current enrolment location. The Principal at their current location advises the parent of the process and eligibility.
The Principal at the requested Academy makes a decision whether a transfer is possible and advises the parent requesting the transfer accordingly.
Please click here to read the Year 10 application process and to submit an application.