A preparation program for students wishing to commence study at Queensland Academies, Gold Coast in Year 10
Brilliant Futures Gold Coast is a preparation enrichment program designed to develop highly capable students' attributes as learners and to provide a transition engagement for students seeking enrolment with Queensland Academies, Gold Coast for Year 10. Students who are currently in Year 6 are welcome to apply.
Queensland Academies offer the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme—an internationally recognised pre-university level qualification that allows subjects to be accelerated and graduating students to study at Australian tertiary institutions as well as overseas universities. The aim of all International Baccalaureate Programmes is to develop internationally minded young people who, recognising their common humanity and shared guardianship of the planet, help to create a better and more peaceful world. As IB World Schools, Queensland Academies support all students to develop the attributes of the
International Baccalaureate learner profile.
Please note: Brilliant Futures Gold Coast is only available to students seeking entry to Queensland Academies, Health Sciences (QAHS) Gold Coast Campus and is not transferable to another Queensland Academies campus. A student can submit one application only to Queensland Academies in a given year.
Our objectives are:
- to engage students in STEM-based enrichment activities enabling collaboration with a like-minded, highly capable cohort of peers
- for students to experience teaching and learning with Queensland Academies, Health Sciences Gold Coast and its industry/university partners in a supportive, challenging and engaging program.
Students will engage with expert teaching staff developing contemporary skills in collaboration, creativity, deep inquiry and research that provides a unique preparation for successful transition into Queensland Academies, Health Sciences Gold Coast Campus.
Year 6 students are welcome to apply. Applications will be analysed and students will then sit the admissions test. It is an expectation that students demonstrate NAPLAN results in the upper two bands in the majority of components in order to proceed to the testing point: Year 3 and Year 5 NAPLAN reports should be submitted with the application.
Students who were not successful in gaining a place in Brilliant Futures Gold Coast, or who withdraw from the program prior to Year 9, would be welcome to re-apply for Year 10 enrolment as per the general process for Queensland Academies admission.
Gold Coast program
- Application process and admissions test
- Notification to selected students
|7: Introductory year|
- Induction ceremony
- Introductory Year Program with engagement in online and face-to-face STEM-based enrichment courses and workshops
|8: Investigative year|
- Investigative Year Program with practical hands-on application in scientific inquiry and research
- STEM Camp
|9: Pre-academy engagement|
- For students offered a placement at QAHS for Year 10
- Enrolment interview (Final stage for Year 10 process)
- Engagement opportunities
- Commence QAHS Gold Coast Campus
special consideration for the entrance test—contact Admissions prior to lodging your application.
Key dates in 2020 to join the program from 2021:
|Applications close||4pm Friday 11 September 2020|
|Admissions Test—Gold Coast Campus, Southport||8am–12pm Saturday 10 October 2020|
- Application fee: $250
Remote online testing incurs an additional fee. See the
Edutest website for more details.
- Program fee: $250* each year (online course/standard workshop)
- STEM Camp levy: $100–$150
* Extra and optional workshops may entail an additional fee.
Submission of semester report cards and NAPLAN reports as they become available.
Completion of 2 enrichment activities, preferably 1 online and 1 face-to-face workshop in Year 7 and Year 8. We understand that students may already be engaged in a range of extracurricular activities. Queensland Academies Gold Coast has designed the Brilliant Futures Program to complement students' school and extracurricular commitments.
We look forward to welcoming the next cohort of Brilliant Futures Gold Coast students to our Gold Coast Campus. For further enquiries contact Queensland Academies, Health Sciences Gold Coast Campus by calling (07) 5510 1100 or sending an email to